Monday, July 7, 2014

I shaved my legs--what a bike shop said afterwards will make you laugh, I did.


In October of 2012 I headed out on my trek to Orlando from Carmel, Indiana with my legs shaved and my head up high. I was on cloud 9, all my training 1400 miles in six months had paid off. My brain was filled with knowledge that I had gained and received from my local bicycle shop.

I was sent off like a true warrior. I had gone from no experience in this sport what so ever, to a well oiled machine in six months---4 century rides in the books--one trip from Indianapolis to Cincinnati as a practice run. I learned the art of eating correctly, the art of changing a tire, changing a tube, proper air, seat adjustment, the proper layering and peeling off layers on rides. I learned about electrolytes, gels, proper clothing and on and on.

About two months before I left, I was out to do my first century ride, 100 miles. Just me my head phones (in one ear only , right side). I was all jacked up--my friend who rides vigorously suggested that I shave my legs--no reason given, he just said all riders do it. So I took him up on his advice and headed to the upstairs bathroom with my clippers--my wife and kid said where are you going ? I replied up to shave my legs....WHAT??? they both cried out. I said it will me me go faster. 

So up I went, clippers plugged in and to town I went. When I was done with the clipping part, I jumped in the shower with my Gillette razor and shaving cream--I had never done this before. I stood in the shower and proceeded to shave my legs. It felt really awkward, bleeding in little spots. When I got out I loaded it down with Brut aftershave and it stung like the dickens--I gave out a scream like my first time when I was a teenager. 

The photo above is of my legs, manly I must say--but they felt so strange...Here I was 40 years old, and I just shaved my legs and for the sheer reason of me going faster...

Next day I hit the road for my first 100 miles jaunt, I did it in 8 hours.....(Tour De France guys do it in four)....But I was not competing against them, I was increasing my speed, or so I thought.

I looked at my speed and I was maintaining 16 MPH, then 15, then 14, then 12, then back up to 17, then down to 14, then up to 16, then back down to 12, then back up to 15, then back down to 11. My last four miles were done in the neighborhood, for if I collapsed I could crawl back. At that point I was doing 5 miles an hour, the elderly lady with her dog were walking faster than I was pedaling. 

Sure enough eight hours later--century ride in the books all because I shaved my legs..

The next day I headed up to the bike shop to tell my friends all about it--They were so happy for me, then one looked down at my legs and said WOW!! You even shaved your legs--I said yes to increase my speed...

Now at this point I had been up there over 50 times, I had forged a bond so what happened next was not a big deal-

HA HA HA!!!! All five of the staff that were presented let go a hardy burst and it continued to be the joke that lasted till I made it to Florida..

They said why did you shave your legs? I said to increase my speed--HA HA HA they all let out again, the lead mechanic said how fast were you going? I said 16 average. At this point they new I was trying so hard, but he told me you need to average 23 miles an hour or faster for hairless legs to make a difference and you need to maintain that speed--in time trials shaved legs make a difference, but in century rides and long distances at your level it will not matter.

He proceeded to explain the reason cyclists shave legs is because if they wreck, it is easier to clean the wound. Hair will not stick to the blood as it heals into a scab. Making the whole process of crash and burn a ton easier--

Well at least they were honest, but he said keep shaving them until your journey is over to Florida. And I did, but man that was so funny--to this day they still kid me on that, but friends joke around and friends help.

The bike shop --I love them all as family.

No comments:

Post a Comment