Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Great review of a bike shop--customer a part of the community.


"What is a community bike shop? A few years ago I was introduced to a new-to-me bike shop in town. I knew that they existed but never took the time to stop in and check ‘em out. I had been a cowbell-ringing fan of cyclocross for 5 years when I heard that BCS offered free clinics and welcomed newbies, so I figured it time to ‘suck it up buttercup’ and get out there! I joined the CX team and slowly began to become part of the community I had watched from behind the course tape. I gained enough skills to participate in a few races that season and found a new sport that I love, thanks to the BCS community. Over the months that followed I became a friend of the shop. I met for rides leaving from there; if my roommate was going to buy parts I asked to come along; if it was bike related BCS was now my first thought. And the shop really shone one evening when I stopped by, in tears because my beloved TT bike, “Greased Lightning,” had been stolen only hours before. The staff was a wealth of support and information on how to deal with a bike theft (craigslist posting, notifying pawn shops, renter’s insurance, hugs etc.) I left the shop feeling very comforted. If that wasn’t enough, they posted on Facebook (my favorite means of communication) they had found the perfect ‘Szabo size’ bike for me. About a week later I was fitted and back out on the road with “Danny Zuko” and a new-found spirit for the cycling community. No matter what I’m doing, if I’m near the shop I make it a point to ‘stop by’. Sometimes it’s to make a valid purchase, other times it’s literally in one door saying “hi” and out the other waving good-bye. They’ve welcomed my silly gregariousness, engaged in my shenanigans, and entertained my desire to ride with guts and grace. They themselves reciprocated the fun by facilitating “Steve Austin” – a cyclocross bike a ‘secret admirer’ bestowed upon me. It doesn’t seem to matter that I can only lead the back, or that I lack the skills to bunny hop, or that my pocketbook isn’t the thickest in Boulder County. BCS always makes me feel like I’m the richest customer. Enjoy the ride!"  Jen S. via Google Review of Boulder Cycle Sport----Boulder, CO. 


WOW!!!! That is one heck of a review of a bicycle shop--this is what I have been talking about for years. All you have to do is stop by one and see what all the commotion is about. The reviewer is one of millions who have gained a friend or two and in this case a whole group.

This review is powerful. It states the obvious, in all successful businesses--engaging with customers....Putting people and their needs first and the shop second. It resonates well with me, it tells the tale, the true story of why small business is so lucrative and many seek out what is so appealing. 

Bike shops, 5000 plus strong and growing across the U.S.A and the world for that matter--I watched nearly all of the Tour De France, but years ago I had no interest. Stopping in on my local bicycle shop sparked a passion for bikes--for the wisdom they provided me, my daughter and my wife was off the charts--they created a biker from the ground up.....

As I looked this shop up, what stood out was there were 47 reviews--47, awesome!---that means they are providing customers with exceptional service and customers are coming back for more--repeating this cycle over and over, bringing their friends as well.

Advertising dollars well spent---socializing, speaking, engaging with customers is the best bank for the buck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment