Sunday, July 27, 2014

Bike shop creates customer who drives by two others to hit theirs up--customer service at its finest.



"I started riding a year ago. I came into the shop a total newbie to the sport. The staff has taught me a ton of stuff about riding and has taken the time to show me things about my bike that I never knew. I drive by 2 other bike shops to get here."  Eric G via Google review of Reser Bicycle Outfitters---- Covington, Ky

I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate reading reviews like the one above--time after time I hear the same thing over and over--I am new to the sport and I thank a bicycle shop.

46 million people or so just in the United States will hit the roads on two wheels this year--WOW!!!!, very impressive. But, what is truly impressive is newbies like the one above who just don't ride a bike, they are engaged with the local community bicycle shop.

People of all ages can ride bikes--very low impact sport, plus you don't have to be fast, muscular, thin or a tri-athlete to enjoy just cruising around town.

I am a advocate for local farmers market, local barber shops--for they effect our local community more so than a mega store---money stays within the local market--so bicycle shops are no different.

Often we here too expensive, too fancy, too flashy--hog wash, bicycle shops have been a part of local cities, suburbs for years and growing even stronger with the wave of bicycle education and knowledge growing off the charts. 

There are 5,000 plus bicycle shops in the US alone, more and more are popping up every week, sometimes daily. On the flip side, some are shutting down. I can't lie to you--But they are not shutting down because of lack of business, they are shutting down due to change--people are demanding excellent customer service, excellent customer interaction and superior knowledge of a business that comes with forging a friendship and a bond with a shop.

Think of your barber--mine was Hugh, way back in the day---his business was booming, his old school style of haircuts for men and boys was sought after and he was racking up the bucks--but I really enjoyed going there in middle school and high school. He knew my name, knew my school, knew my buddies and would give a high quality hair cut with awesome conversation -- plus they always had the Reds game on or any game for that matter on the radio all year around--it was a fun place to get my hair cut--nothing fancy about the place, but 5 barbers were always there waiting to take on the next flat top, buzz ,fade or a neat trim and shave....The item that stood out was they were always staffed, and I mean always--I would walk in and barbers unoccupied were in the chairs talking and engaging others getting their haircut,  then they got up and said "Jim" you are next--come on over. With that they would proceed with the cut with perfection--and I would walk out with a ALL American feel and style--Grandpa was always proud of those haircuts. 

We can learn a ton from a old school barber, and I know that is what people are searching for with customer service--we can get a bike anywhere; Craigslist, E-Bay, Amazon etc......But nothing else comes with it, just a receipt of the transaction--

So the next time little Timmy needs a bell for the bike--go to the local bicycle shop---Grandma needs a basket, go to the bicycle shop. Need to purchase a bike, well--hit up your local bicycle shop and see what I and millions are talking about--forge a relationship and see for yourself. You will be happy with your choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment