Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Wisdom of a business---customer service.

In May of 2012 I decided I would ride a bike from Indiana to Florida for cancer.....

Now I have done a ton of fun activities in my life; pack packed all through Asia two times, Climbed Mt. Fuji, wrote a book with my dad called Go The Distance.

But this challenge was of a new category--BIKING!

My goal was to go from nothing---zero--to Orlando, Florida and reach Amway Center, home of the Orlando Magic in 150 days...

It was a dream at first,  then it became a vision with a ton of little daily goals to achieve.

First goal to get a bike--I did not have one, that is a road bike(ten speed I called it) boy was I behind the times.

Second I had to grab knowledge of the sport..

Third I was going to do this on my own; well that is where I had too adjust my sails.....There was a bicycle shop next to my house, and I mean right next door---150 yards away or so...So I decided to stop up there for the purchase of  a bike and WAMMMMMO! That is where and when a bond was created between a customer and a business.

I never told them what I was doing, I just walked in and said I need to buy a bike--they treated me with respect, spoke to me in a language I could understand...

I have been in the customer service business for a long time---but this time I was on the receiving end, I was the customer.....and I had 150 days to go till take off was to commence.

That summer I listened to them, they guided me and a bike shop; with no favors, no freebies, no hand outs, no private lessons landed me in Orlando. Why???? They saw me as Jim Serger, the bicyclist....Not Jim Serger a guy who knows nothing about biking. Their wisdom is still present today in my life.

Customer service works, for they created a  loyal customer--I go back all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment