Friday, August 8, 2014

Empower Employees----customer service---bicycle shops



Keep calm everything is going to be alright---sounds like a song from The Who--Tommy.

But this is so true in the world of small business, owners can't be there 24/7--so true in the world of bicycle shops.

I am a huge advocate as many of you know for bicycling and the rising demand of superior customer service.

Almost two years ago I headed down to Florida on an adventure of a life time, cycling for cancer from Indiana to Orlando.

However I had NO clue as to what cycling entailed; what steps to take, what helmet to buy, what carbon-fiber meant, titanium frame, Zipp, Cannondale, derailleur, white lighting oil and so on.

Empowering people came into play, the staff of a local bicycle shop kept delivering when I headed up there with questions. They steered me into saving money. Why buy that when you don't need it, money saved on my part was a loss on theirs....But I kept coming back in, spending money and gaining knowledge.

ALL the employees were empowered by the owner to make good, sound, customer oriented decisions without seeking out advice from the owner--the owner trusted them and empowered them to lead his small business without being present.

I made it to Orlando on keen corrections, advise and knowledge delivered by a staff whom was lead by a owner who believed in them---

He was a cheerleader of the finest quality, encouraging his employees to engage with customers and help them with confidence.

I am a loyal fan of my bicycle shop here in Indiana, and this philosophy will create a better, fulfilling , engaged community among the staff. A strong BOND!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment