Monday, September 3, 2012

Day 12, 13, 14 Aug 31, Sept 1 and 2nd

So on Friday I had a pretty busy day--up and at them little girl on the bus--then I tackled the kitchen sink. Waiting for caulk to dry, I cut the grass. Then wife brought home lunch, then finished the sink. Then around 1:30 got on the bike and did a quick 20 miles again--RAIN they said was headed to central Indiana and it was not going to stop till Monday. Got ride in and then showered and off for a visitation in Columbus, Indiana. It was a great day, in that I need to get it all in--Labor Day weekend is a great weekend at work.

Going to visitation was very sad, but it was something I had to do--My wife, and I and little girl just love this family. As I stood in the waiting line pictures were up of the gentleman, with his teenage kids, wife , brothers and sister. It is tough, very tough seeing he was only 47 years old--47 right in the middle of his life and WE lost him. I did not know him very well, but is younger brother, my neighbor are great friends and I was there too support him and his family in need of love and friendship--

That to me is what this bike ride to Orlando is all about--it is about love, friendship, commitment, strength, honor and knowing that when someone is looking for help or guidance others step in and show the way.
Could you imagine not knowing how to read?Could you imagine having cancer and no one around to hug, talk or even just say hello and speak with you? Can you imagine what it is like to be homeless and have an addiction problem and no where too turn? Last, is the fact that every 40 seconds someone takes their life, and every 41 seconds someone is asking why--and what if no one was there to help cope with that question?

The four groups that I am riding for are there, willing to help anyone at any given time. The Prospect House, Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation, International Reading Association, and American Foundation of Suicide Prevention. They all have helped me in one way or another--some you may never heard of, some you may never need, but in donating we all can give back too those who help others.

It is 1033 miles from my house to Orlando and it is 1.5 minutes to the bike store next to my house. I was there yesterday for the bike was having a hard time shifting correctly and I took it in with my little girl and up on the rack it went--I new NOTHING about bikes until I took this challenge up and yesterday was no different. The young man explained to me and my girl what needed to be done--as if he were the doctor and I was the patient. He explained and showed and then put the bike back together as if he had done this 1 million times. He was awesome to share with us his knowledge and his passion for his job. the whole staff at this store is great--my bike is 10 years old and he did not say a word about it--a few suggestions as I get closer to the ride--but that was it.

New cables, are on and the rain has stopped here in Indiana--so on Monday I should be able to get a ride in--my goal this week is 20 miles a day for 7 days--then a HUGE task for next week--we are getting closer and closer to the ride.

Till tomorrow--read 15 minutes a day--it will change your life.

For donations please visit the following http://jimserger.com/1033/

Have a great day, Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment