Monday, August 20, 2012

Day 1

   On June 19th I decided to take up a new sport that I had never done before--yes I have ridden bikes and bmx bikes as kid--but never a 20 speed road bike, with clip in shoes or even begin to think I could put on spandex shorts and a jersey. A road bike was donated to me, and the first day all I could do was 4 miles--yes four little miles, that is it.
   My decision to ride the bike was generated when I read a book about how to give back to life--how to donate time and energy. Four special programs came to my head--cancer, suicide, literacy and alcoholism.
All four have been a part of my life, me having to deal with them in one way or another--some in good ways, some in awful  ways--but, today through the kindness of programs that helped me understand the four, I am going to give back to those four--by me riding my bike from Carmel, Indiana to Orlando, Florida.
  Just 15 minutes ago I got off my back, doing a 30 mile run--and since June 19th, I have 622 miles under my belt--and I even fell over a stop sign trying to get my shoes un-clipped (pretty funny, and of course there were cars looking at me).
  Doing this ride, this journey has helped me face a new challenge just like many people who have face one of the four programs --it is not easy by any means; hills, wind, rain, cars, dogs, etc....when I got to 40 miles I felt I was ready too commit myself to the journey, because like any thing else I had too see if i could do it--so on august 1st I went for my first century ride and low and behold I did it in 8 hours and 7 minutes--but I am 5'10" and 242 pounds--today I am down too 239 pounds and still loosing.
    I am proud to say that my next door neighbor Scott Golden will be going on this ride with me--for he is up to the challenge as well and knows that it is all for a good cause. With that it is 1033 miles to Orlando from my house here in Carmel, Indiana---so if we average 130 miles a day, 65 miles a piece we should get there is 8 days--depending on the weather, and of course the hills(need to practice those, not many in central Indiana)
   Our goal is to raise 100,000 through donations --which then we will be giving 25%  to each cause I have posted on my website--
 The journey is in 60 days--October 20th, my dad's birthday and the day after my little girls.

http://jimserger.com/1033/     here is the website for the ride, as well as facebook page.

So each day I will be looking forward to the day Scott and I will be able too help others--like others have helped my family and so many others across the US and Internationally.

So share, post, and follow our journey to Orlando---2 dad's, 1 bike.

help us raise 100,000--thanks Jim Serger Jr.




No comments:

Post a Comment