Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Day 8 and 9--commitment

    On Monday as usual it was back to work and it was back to biking. Monday I went for the first time on the path that is the short run, it is  a 17 mile loop from my house--went I got to mile 10 the road was blocked and I was taken on a different route. Adding on another 3 miles--my goal on Monday was to do 17 miles in under an hour--if I did it it would be my best time, well with the 3 miles added on I had too push harder. When I go back it was 1 hour and 5 minutes. So I did beat my best time and it was 19.04 miles per hour.
Now I am not a thin man at all 5'10 and 240 pounds, but I must say I felt very very good about my time.

   With this, this  is where commitment comes into play--I am in this to the finish line. I went from 4 miles on June 19th to my first century ride on August 1st to my best time over a 20 mile stretch. I am a firm believer in that when we commit ourselves to doing right, finishing a project, getting sober, battling cancer, asking for help, raising our hand  for guidance.  That all dreams, hopes do come too fruition.

    I read the book Extreme Dreams Depend on Teams--in that book the author describes that everything we do,  takes help from others in order for our dreams to come alive. I have been to the Bike shop next to my house now over 15 times since taking on this project; gloves, helmet, drinks, knowledge, advice, help, and even bike work. I could have never been this far with out them, and that is what transpired with my dad at the Prospect House--they guided him and 6,200 other men on a road to sobriety, to a road that leads them to love, family, and a household.

   I have read 156 book in 30 months--but that takes commitment and today my daughter wanted to go and see her friends down the street--well she had to read for 15 minutes, which lead to her reading for 40 minutes and she read the whole book--commitment, she wanted it bad enough and the reward was one book finished and playing with her friends.

   The four groups I am riding for know what commitment is, they share with others through their vast knowledge, research and understanding of the material they provide--they all are a worthy cause that has impacted my life and has shown me through myself, my family and our future what they have too offer and it works.

I took the day off today--going for 100 miles in under 6.5 hours Wednesday. Last time it took me 8.45 to finish.

Last thing--commitment is just not for those struggling, it is for all of us to grow daily and strengthen our personal best into even better each and every day.

http://jimserger.com/1033/

No comments:

Post a Comment