Thursday, August 23, 2012

Day 3

http://www.reading.org/General/Default.aspx

little late on day 3--

On Tuesday night I went to meet the teacher night here in Carmel, Indiana. Great to meet my little girls teacher, she is so nice and my daughter is just head over heels for her--what she brings is enthusiasm  and joy to the subject of reading. I sat there among the other parents and heard her say, that reading is what she wants the kids to focus on--I about stood up and ran up and gave her a hug, but instead I sat there.

Reading to me was so boring--that is what other people do with their time, not me. I am going to lift weights, play football, baseball and reading books in my spare time-- I am just too cool for that.

Boy was I wrong, I graduated from college back in 1992, and I had not read a single book at all until winter of 2010--this where I met a man who changed my way of thinking.

I was at a managers meeting where the guest speaker, Pat Williams challenged everyone to read 15 minutes a day--he said it would change your life. At the end of the meeting he gave out 10 copies of his latest book and I just happened to be one of them--so I went home and began to read the book Extreme  Dreams Depend on Teams. it took me almost two weeks to finish the book--but what happened was I was jacked up and I went out and got another book, then another book and on and on and on it went. In 2010 I read 71 books--71 books, that is crazy, reading became a way of life for me.

I began to listen and comprehend information more easily--I was gaining knowledge on topics I never heard of, I was being taken to parts of the world I have never seen--the pay off was huge. And today I am up too 156 books in the 30 months since taking him up on his challenge.

15 minutes x 365 days = 5475 minutes or 91.25 hours reading in one year--

At the parent teacher meeting, she told all the parents I would like for your child to read 15 minutes a day, I know what happens next, we begin to read 20, 30, 40  minutes at a time--some times even an hour or two.
The child is hooked for life, they took the bait and the rest is history as they say--what a great concept.

One of the programs that I am riding for is International Reading Association. This is there message.

     Improving the quality of reading instruction
     Disseminating research and information about reading
     Encouraging the lifetime reading habit

I support the IRA in that they are helping so many people understand the value of reading, they are teaching the comprehension of reading and the cause and effect of reading too so many across the world.

Please help me raise money for them and the other four causes. My goal is 100,000 dollars all money will be split between the four groups.
The DONATION site is below


On Wednesday I biked 80 miles in 5 hours and 45 minutes--heard to believe that 8 weeks ago all i could do is 4 miles--had to believe I had not read a book in 20 years, now i am up too 156 in 30 months.

Imagine what WE can do when we help others understand the value of reading.

Till tomorrow.  "Pain is temporary, quitting lasts for ever".---Lance Armstrong

No comments:

Post a Comment