Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Day 2

http://www.afsp.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.viewPage&page_ID=E3B54230-0912-9392-6D8BABBCD647053F

Every 40 seconds someone takes their life---every 41 seconds someone is asking why.

This is a very powerful statement and it really hits home for me--you see in 1990 and 1999 my father tried to take his own life. It is the most gut wrenching feeling in the world, but do too him crying out for help the staff at University Hospital in Cincinnati were able to get him and his needs under control.

It is not a fun ride at all, trying to cope with why my dad tried that--but what I see is that there is a reason for everything in life, things don't just happen for nothing. That is why I am writing this today, for what I have learned form my experience and pain through those years is nothing I would wish even on my worst enemy on any given day at any given moment.

We for years swept the problem under the table, I did it with a big fake smile across my face. I denied the fact that I was hurting inside, I blew it off--I had to be a man and not show any self-pity or remorse on the problems facing me and my dad. Well, that was not fun at all, I was angry, mad--just unable to conjure up the strength too talk about it with any one.

I ran away from the problem basically--but today, through unconditional love, my dad and I for the past 4 years have rebuilt our relationship into a very solid one--one that I needed and he needs. I am proud of my dad for allowing us too go public on this topic so that we can help others understand suicide and to get educated on a topic that we choose too avoid.

I chose this foundation--because it stands for what I understand now--I understand suicide affects all walks of life. Rich, poor, educated, uneducated, white, black, Asian, Hispanic and on and on and on it goes.

So I am riding my bike with my neighbor Scott to raise awareness on this subject and to raise donations for others who are coping with suicide.

1033 miles from Carmel, Indiana to Orlando, Florida seems like a very long journey--however not having my dad in my life would be an even longer journey to do with out.

I am proud to say 25% of all donations we get will go to AFSP--in a friend of my dad's daughters name. Shannon's Butterflies is a memorial to a very special girl who I had know for years, sadly Shannon took her own life in 2010 and left a family asking themselves many questions that we will never know the answers.

If Scott and I raise money, and my dad and I are open about talking about suicide--then I feel if we prevent one family from asking why, then it is a victory to all--a victory that we all can win as a team--then that person can help someone else understand suicide, then it becomes the ripple affect.

I did not ride or train today--meet the teacher night. But up and at them tomorrow for what should be a 80 mile bike ride--shooting for 15 miles and hour--if I can get 90 then I will go for it.

Till tomorrow--don't forget to tell someone you love them, and give them a hug.

For donations and more information please visit the site below.

Jim Serger Jr.     http://jimserger.com/1033/


No comments:

Post a Comment