Thursday, August 23, 2012

Day 4

http://www.prospect-house.org/

Day 4 is about one of the beneficiaries of the ride--one that hit home to me personally, that is the Prospect House, located in Cincinnati, Ohio.

This house is what "saved "my dad--as they say it.

In 2000 my dad was admitted to this house for he needed to come full circle on his addiction to alcohol--he had to face his life head on and be admitted to a program that has a 68% percent success rate--a program that has been offered to 6,200 men over the last 38 years.

This house is not easy, and it is not intended too be--but it is a house full of men that have the same goal--come clean, and come clean my dad did.

He spent 18 months at this house, the house that re-united him with my family. A house among brothers who root and cheer each other on, a house that you feel welcomed at, a house you can feel loved at and a house that is not afraid to say you have done something wrong when you step out of line and don't follow the rules.

This house provided what my dad needed and that is structure, time management, accountability, ownership, and learning to live like a human being--this is the path I wanted so bad for my dad  for a long time and this house delivered exactly what it said it would--but, it also took my dad to step and be willing too listen, grasp and hold on to all the knowledge and leadership they were teaching him.

That was 12 years ago, and I am proud that to this day he is alcohol free to the best of my knowledge--he is back in our family and there is not a day that doesn't go by that I have talked to him over the last years. He is my buddy, my friend, my dad, a grandpa and a husband and a brother because of this house and it is my honor to give them a little back.

There are many houses like this one across the united States--houses that are there to provide the care, shelter, medical and dental needs of men with addiction problems. They are there, because people are willing  and care enough to help others that are in need.

Please click on the link above and check out what this house can do, and has done--the Prospect House, thank you for saving my dad, and saving 6,200 other dad's, son's, brother's and friend's. YOU are so needed and thanked in so many ways.

25% of all donations will go directly to the Prospect House so that another son's and daughter's one day can have a sober dad, brother and have someone he is proud of. For, this will continue for a long time if we all can help.

For donations and other information please visit http://jimserger.com/1033/

I took the day off today from training--but up and at them tomorrow, trying to see how fast I can do 30 miles.

Don't forget to say I love you and give a hug today--it can go a long way, trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment