Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Bicycle shop-----Pareto Principle----loyal customers......




The 80/20 rule----Pareto Principle...

The idea of this is so simple when it comes to customers---give them what they need, valued customer service and they will come back. 

Getting someone to walk in for the first time is hard enough--but when they do, we must be prepared and willing to give first class service.

There are over 5,000 bicycle shops in the United States---they are competing with Walmart, Dicks, Sears, K-Mart, Target and an array of others.

The difference between a shop and a mega store after we thin slice it, is product knowledge and product awareness. 

Whether we are buying a tri-cycle, mountain bike, cruiser or road bike (old ten speed)--we as the customer will feel first hand the service each location can supply on bikes. 

A ton of factors go into a purchase--
How often do you ride?
 Will the bike last 5 years?
Is it of good quality?
What do I get with my purchase?


Bicycle shops have been around for over a hundred years--they are in a niche business, Bicycling.

My dad purchased my first BMX bike from a bicycle shop in Cincinnati 30 years ago, then my first ten speed was purchased at the same shop some years later.....WHY???

They made my dad feel welcomed, made him feel good about his first purchase so he came back again for mine and my brothers---so 4 bikes were bought there.

I interacted all the time with the shop---I would ride up there for additional purchases---even with a K-mart next to my house--I would buy storage bags for under seat, locks, chains, bottles, wheels, tubes---they were always willing to help, and at 10 I had no idea what customer service meant--but they were right there delivering over and over--Montgomery Cyclery is the name, and they are still thriving today.

Here is a review of a bicycle shop---

 "It was a pleasure to buy my seventh bicycle from the Overland Park store recently. My first bike purchases were a few used bicycles from that fine store. I then traded up to a brand new, entry level Trek road bike several years ago. The sticker price was a few dollars more than the Trek Store’s sticker price, but I decided to do business with Bike America because of their wonderful lifetime guarantee for new bicycles. The company honored its guarantee and kept my Trek in great shape. Over the last several years I have, once a year, traded in my bicycle for an upgraded model and have never been disappointed. While over the years they have had different personnel, which is common in the retail business, Nick and the store's manager, Greg, have always been professional businessmen and keepers of their word. My current bicycle is a pleasure to ride and has taken me all over the country. It is a tremendous product and has been well-maintained by Bike America service professionals. I have always been treated with courtesy, friendship and respect by the staff and it is very much appreciated. I have enjoyed the last five (5) years of doing business with Bike America and look forward to many more years of cycling enjoyment provided by their products. I thoroughly enjoy riding the Cannondale and Trek road bikes they are currently selling and believe they are the best products available in the marketplace. Keep up the good work." Kevin R via Google on Bike America. Overland Park, KS.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what an excellent review---the key is 7th bike---that means the first time interacting with the staff he was blown away by the hospitality....That is incredible to see he has been back 6 more times--I would say he is a raving fan of the store. He is a loyal customer created by a business whom put people first.

I have the same relationship with my shop here---The are the most knowledgeable people when it comes to bikes--plus they are local and their kids go to school where mine do, we have a ton in common, which makes the experience that much more bonding.

I wrote my second book about a bicycle shop and the customer service they provide---it comes out Jan 15,2015......It is a true story and business book all wrapped into one--I had to write it, customer service is in high demand and they gave me A+++++++++ service.


I would love to hear your stories about your local shop----where you are or any business that is thriving because of excellent service being given.











No comments:

Post a Comment