Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Bicycle Shop---sales are up because they put people first......


It is very hard to convince a person to buy a new dishwasher and a new dryer when they don't have a broken one....

However when a customer has a broken disposal it is very easy to recommend an item based on the salespersons recommendation. 

I will use this as a case in point--my disposal broke--yes the most needed item in the house next to a washer, went out on Memorial Day weekend...

Lucky for me I live 45 seconds from a Home Depot--more like 5, but it is close.

I headed right up there with the model number and name of the manufacturer and proceeded back to the department--upon my pacing back and forth a sales rep confronted me with a smile and a warm handshake--BAM!--first indication he cares. 

2nd -- he asked "What are you looking for?"
I replied a new disposal--with that he said --"How long did the old one last?"
6 years I replied...... 6YEARS!!!!--he stated, that is great.

3rd--lets go and look at the same manufacturer and see what we have---
Sure enough they had the same model and same manufacturer..

$85 dollars---he said that is a great investment with little cost to you---What do you mean I stated, knowing what he was going to say--but this Home Depot chap new his stuff, he was in the people first business....

He said I can sell you a $150 dollar one, I can sell you a $200 dollar one--but for $85 and lasting 6 years, you don't need a high end item--you are happy with the price and happy with the years of service, so he exclaimed  WHY UPGRADE????

He was totally correct with this transaction--he put me first and my wallet second and put Home Depot 3rd..

I can name almost every single employee at my local store, I have spent a vast  amount of money in the 7 years I have lived this close--every single time this is how they treat me---even on day one, the customer service has never defaulted to a lesser experience.

HD sales are up for me because I enjoy the people--if the staff stayed and the name changed I would still continue to shop there. 

The same goes with my local bicycle shop---they put me first, wallet second, service 3rd and the shop way back at the end--LEADERS eat last atmosphere....

"Bike World has a helpful, knowledgeable service staff and a low-pressure sales environment." Google Review of Bike World---Paducah, KY.

I love bicycle shops---the small business feeling that comes with a passion and a ZAP of energy that can be felt from the moment you walk in, to the moment you walk out--- then it repeats upon the next visit....Just like my local hardware store......Staff putting people first.

No comments:

Post a Comment