Thursday, October 4, 2012

October 3 --- Indianapolis to Cincinnati

Up and at them at 5:30--downtown Indianapolis by 6:30, and on the road--me, the bike and a back pack headed for Cincinnati--my plan was to get 100 plus miles and tackle hills, test gps, test how bike would hold up and think about the mission down to Orlando from Carmel.

I headed out through downtown--stop light, after stop light. It took me 2 hours just to get out side of 465, and then I could really begin to get my speed up--and head for Shelbyville. I finally made it to Shelbyville at 10:30, went into Kroger with the bike on my shoulder--used the bathroom--refilled water bottle, ate a protein snack and back on the bike headed for Greensburg.

I must say that I really enjoy the country roads much better than the city roads--1 less traffic, obvious. 2 I get to see the farms, and pastures of Indiana, instead of just the highway and motorists passing by. I took in the scenery--but I was maintaining  19 miles an hour, which was a good thing since I averaged 9 miles and hour for 2 hours going through Indy. I finally made it past the Honda plant and through the heart of Greensburg at 12 noon--pulled over, used bathroom, filled water bottles, ate protein bar--450 calories. Took a few electrolyte pills--to maintain salt level. Then onto 46 east towards Cincy.

At this point I was feeling pretty good--10 minute break at each stop was way better than I have ever done before. I pulled onto 46 which the speed limit was 55, but the should was 3 feet wide, so plenty of space for me to be on. I rolled pretty fast around 18 or so--and finally made it to Batesville around 1:15--once again I ate a small gummy protein snack--and hit the road again headed for Harrison Ohio.

The hills now were pretty noticeable  speed was dropping down to 15 or so, then back up to 25 then back down to 15--then I hit 28 miles an hour, BIG huge dog came running right at me, and I had to kick it in, and I am glad I did. Cujo--would of nailed me. So for the next 1/2 hour I was looking for more dogs and sure enough another one came out of no where--and I had to turn on afterburners to out gun it--thank God, I was able to speed up fast.

I finally made it to West Harrison--which at the time was 3:45. I had to pull over and do interview with Eddie Fingers and Tracey Jones on WLWT radio in Cincinnati--they did live talk and they had me on talking about the ride--sure was nice of them to have me on and chit chat about sports, and the bike ride to help others.

4:00 up Harrison Avenue I went, and I made all the way up the BIG hill, then I made it all the way down--I ended up in St. Bernard parish in Cheviot and called it a day at 4:45.

107 miles, the most I have ever done in 1 day--plus I went up a ton of hills--and 2 hours through a major city.  I was happy with my results, happy with the bike, happy with my training--but I was the happiest when my buddy, my friend, my dad--picked me up at 5:15.--we headed back to his house and mom cooked us a great meal--we watched the debates and up and at them at 4:30 and dad drove me back to Indianapolis.

Fast day, tiring day--but well worth it.........It gave me an idea of what I need to plan for in another 2 weeks.
But most of all cancer, suicide, literacy and addictions--are all worth the journey, and that is what I am riding for.

To donate--or learn more on why i am riding please click this link  http://www.jimserger.com/1033/

No comments:

Post a Comment