Saturday, October 13, 2012

ONE week to go....

Yesterday I did 30 miles, which I will do every day up until Thursday of next week. It was fun to be out yesterday, but the wind was off the charts--upwards of 20 mph and the bike was blowing all over the place.

As I scooted on, riding dead aim at the wind. I was thinking to myself that this is pretty hard, I am used to going 20 mph and now I am only going 14--but then again, I am 5'10 and 233 pounds not exactly a pro-type of a Tour De France rider.

As I rounded the 15 mile marker, I looked off to the left and the Sun began to break through the clouds--rays of light  were beaming out like the red laser  pointer kids use--it was awesome. So I stopped and thought about what I am riding for.

I am riding for people who are afraid to speak up, I am riding for the family who has little money, I am riding for the spouse or sister of someone who took their life, I am riding for the parent of a child who is addicted to alcohol or drugs. I am riding for the cancer patient who is looking for answers  looking for love and looking for a glimpse of hope. I ma riding for the dad, mom who lost their only child to cancer, the son who lost his dad to cancer--or the school who lost a fellow student to drugs/alcohol. I am riding for the student who can't read at the current level of his class, I am riding for the teachers who help guide others on the importance of reading, comprehension and grasping the story with in the book. I am riding so that others can have sight on a vision of creating a better world that we live in.

I am riding because I got help--not me personally, but my family. We got answers,  we got help and we were guided into the right direction by people who give so much back to the community. I have read 162 books in 30 months, and I want others to gain what I have gained--I want others to feel good about reading, and challenging themselves like they have never done before--to get out of their comfort zone and seek more.

I leave for Orlando in 7 days--- these groups need our help, please join me in giving back.

http://www.jimserger.com/1033/

Thank YOU---Jim Serger Jr.   Carmel, Indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment