Sunday, November 9, 2014

Bicycle shops and Black Friday deals.....



Black Friday--

Here it comes; the day after Thanksgiving.

But what is Black Friday? What does it really mean to you the customer.

Here is the definition:(in the US) the day after Thanksgiving, noted as the first day of traditional Christmas shopping, during which crowds of consumers are drawn to special offers by retailers.


Here is the list of special offers--

1. Wait in a long line.
2. Low end items.
3. NOT guaranteed to have item in stock; on a limited quantity.
4. Getting pushed, shoved, cut off.
5. No interaction with staff--hustle.
6. Waiting in line to find a parking spot.
7. Hurry, hurry and hurry some more---store after store.
8. Not being able to sleep in and wake up with a nice family breakfast on Friday.


I am a evangelist for customer service and as noted above, there really is not too much of that going on.

I am not a Black Friday fan, why????

Lets look at this scenario for a second. Cheap items--I would rather have quality items. Tons of gifts, I would rather get one or two items I really need vs an array of low budget items I think I want. 

I love bicycles; road bike, MTB and the interaction that transpires when buying one. The days have come and gone where we just look at a bike, size it up, test ride it and tell the teenager at the mega store we will take this one. 

Bicycle push, awareness, bike lanes, commuting is on the rise---bicycling is the new golf. I heard that line the other day and it is so true. ALL can bicycle--so this Christmas I highly recommend skipping the mega store for a bike purchase and create a epic experience by stopping by your local bicycle shop.

Shopping there you WILL get more than a bike--you will create friends, you can connect more on a personal level. You get the bike properly fitted, which is critical. YOU will get a quality item, not a mass produced low-end item. People say why did you spend that much money--my answer is simple. Why did you buy a cheap item? Not to be a smarty pants, but you get what you pay for--if little johnny loves mountain biking and he is due for a new one; why buy a cheap one. A quality bike will hold up for years, ride the trails longer.

Keys on why buy from a shop.
1. Customer interaction.
2. Proper fitting.
3. The correct bike for the customers needs---not just any bike.
4.  Usually with a purchase there is a tune up deal for a year.
5. The staff understand the passion of the sport.
6. Community involvement--bike rides, local trails.
7. Leadership--we have walked the talk.
8. There are 10,000 more benefits.

The idea is why wait for Black Friday---head up to your bicycle shop and see what I am explaining.....See it first hand the customer interaction that is so uplifting. 

There are over 5,000 bicycle shops in the USA---we live very close to shop these days. Pull one up on Google and read how close they really are to you. YOU will have a better buying experience and little Suzie will get the bike she can ride for years--as apposed to the bike she can ride for a few months---

Remember little Johnny and Suzie will grow between now and March--so buy with consideration that are are growing....4 foot will be 4.5 in six months......A Bike shop will know that. 

So to me there are no Black Friday deals--just good all year around stores I love to buy from.

Best Buy---I shop there all year around...Not once have I been there on Black Friday, there service is why I shop there. Home Depot same thing, Target same thing, Barnes and Noble same thing---My dentist does not run Black Friday deals and she is awesome--so I go there all year round. My Dr. is super, no Black Friday deals. 
A deal is a deal--but a loyal customer is a must, and I am....... 

http://www.amazon.com/2000-Miles-Wisdom-Jim-Serger/dp/1936800209/ref=la_B00J73F0HY_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1416382239&sr=1-1

My second book is out January 15th---pre order today.  Customer service.

No comments:

Post a Comment