Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Read a book it will change your life

We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading.”

B. F. Skinner (1904-1990);

I use to think that reading was for the upper class; doctors, lawyers, teachers etc.. But then again I was fighting the cause, I was forced all the time in grade school, high school and college. I just thought doing school work was good enough, baseball, football and of course friends were more important as a teenager--which they are important for social development.
  But reading on my own, what a waste of time--give me weights, a hoop or T.V--not a book to fill the void.
Now lets fast forward 20 years--I am 42 and reading is second to none, it is first of the day priority for me. I have seen the benefit of reading. First my little 8 year old sees me do it and "monkey see monkey do". Second is that reading is more fulfilling than anything on TV and I love sports--I read 15 minutes a day when I started reading 3 years ago--then it turned to 30, 45, 60 and even 4 hours in one day. I believe in reading on subjects that you enjoy, and if start out on reading that way--then your subject matter will grow and grow and grow. 
  The key to starting to  read is to finish your first book, then pick up the second book right away and get in the habit of reading at specific time and place that is convenient for you daily. 
 If there is anyone who hated reading it was me--I hated to read, I fought it and fought and fought it--today it is an addiction that I enjoy--and if I can do it you can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment